It seems the theatre bug has permanently afflicted us! So, as this is being written, we are in the thick of feverish preparations for the third edition of Something Wonderful, Something Musical 3 (SWSM3), Musikademy’s signature series of theatrical concerts and musical plays. SWSM3 features excerpts from the hit shows Matilda, Pippin (a 1980s-era play which saw a re-staging in 2013), and Mamma Mia. Marvel and be entertained at the witty, heart-piercing lyrics and compelling melodies of songs such as: “Naughty” & “My House” from Matilda; “Corner of the Sky” & “Morning Glow” from Pippin; and “Does Your Mother Know” & “Slipping Through My Fingers” from Mamma Mia.
The cast features outstanding local performers, including Rina Angeles, Michael Ebro Dakudao, Fonzi Marquez, Nikki Arriola, and Musikademy’s voice scholars, the M6 Teens. Our very own kids and teens fill out the cast, together with prominent Dabawenyo talents Abet Padilla and Rikki Torres. Hongkong-based pianist and proud Dabawenyo Michael Richard Lopez returns as band leader and primary accompanist. The creative staff includes overall director Cecile Hidalgo, assistant director Fonzi Marquez, lead choreographer Edison “Bimbo” Morales, and music director Bong Aviola.
SWSM3 will be presented on April 1 & 2 at SM Cinema 6 at SM Lanang Premiere, Lanang, Davao City. Showtimes for both dates: 3:00 PM for the Matinee and 7:30 PM for the Gala. Matinee tickets are P200, Gala tickets are P700 & P1,000. For more information on how to purchase tickets, please contact us through our Facebook page, Twitter account, via email, or by phone (082-2974542).
Here are some facts about SWSM3:
• SWSM3 is Musikademy’s sixth major production in 6 years of operation.
• In 2011 we presented our first voice scholars in a back-to-back concert at Faith Academy Auditorium, entitled Perfect Twogether.
• This was followed by another concert for its growing assemblage of scholars, entitled Intensity 6 and held at the SM City Davao Events Centre.
• The first iteration of SWSM featured excerpts from the classic shows Sound of Music, The King & I, and South Pacific. This was presented in SM Lanang Premiere’s Cinema 6, with a run of 3 shows.
• In 2014 Musikademy presented a musical play entitled Minsan Pang Minahal with an original script by March De Ramos set to the music of maestro Ryan Cayabyab, who attended the gala show. The show was also presented in SM Lang Premiere Cinema 6, with a run of 3 shows.
• Last year SWSM2 featured songs from legendary musicals Annie, Grease, and Les Miserables. It was showcased with a cast of nearly a hundred, including members of two of Davao’s finest choral groups: The Himig Singers and St. Joseph Choral Ensemble.
• Aside from these major productions Musikademy has presented a total of 18 recitals in the past 6 years, testament to its experience in organizing and putting up musical shows for its students.
• Musikademy, Davao City’s premiere vocal music school, celebrates 7 years of operation in 2017.